Antigua and Barbuda’s Health Minister Michael Joseph said Friday that the government will recommend temporary travel restrictions for people arriving from Ebola-affected areas in Central and East Africa as the country strengthens its public health preparedness measures.
Speaking at a press conference shortly after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern, Joseph stressed that Antigua and Barbuda currently has no suspected or confirmed Ebola cases.
“In addition, the Ministry of Health will propose to the Cabinet of Antigua and Barbuda temporary travel measures for persons traveling from designated outbreak areas,” Joseph said.
He said the proposed measures would restrict entry into Antigua and Barbuda for people who had been present in identified outbreak areas within 45 days before arriving in the country.
Joseph said authorities are also moving to reinstall infrared thermal camera systems at V.C. Bird International Airport as part of expanded passenger screening measures.
The minister said the enhanced preparations come as Antigua and Barbuda prepares for additional international flights from Nigeria beginning May 25.
“In light of the anticipated arrival of additional international flights from Nigeria commencing 25th of May 2026, Ministry of Health is strengthening port health presence and public health screening capacity at the airport,” he said.
Joseph said the strengthened measures include enhanced traveler assessments and closer coordination among immigration, customs, airport authorities and airline operators.
The ministry has also intensified surveillance measures at ports of entry, reinforced infection prevention procedures at health facilities and increased coordination with regional and international public health agencies.
Joseph said officials are reviewing and updating national Ebola preparedness protocols first developed in 2014, including guidance related to surveillance, infection prevention and control, case management and the safe handling of human remains.
He added that the country’s infectious disease center is being readied in case isolation or specialized treatment becomes necessary.
“At this time, there are no suspected confirmed cases of Ebola virus in Antigua and Barbuda,” Joseph said. “Again, I want to repeat: there is no suspected case of Ebola in Antigua and Barbuda.”
The minister said the risk to Antigua and Barbuda remains low but urged residents to remain vigilant and continue practicing good hygiene.
“Members of the public are encouraged to continue practicing good hand hygiene and to seek medical attention promptly if experiencing fever or illness, particularly following recent international travel,” he said.
Joseph said the government would continue monitoring the situation closely and provide updates as necessary.

